The new driver physical requirement has been put in place this year by the DOT as an important part of keeping America’s roads and highways safe. Let’s take a look at what it is and what you need to do to keep compliant with the new health exam requirements.
What is the new 2022 DOT Physical?
The new 2022 DOT physical is a health exam required of commercial drivers by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to ensure that commercial drivers are capable of fulfilling their job. This exam must be completed by a DOT medical examiner and documented every 24 months.
Are All Drivers Required to Get a DOT Physical?
This requirement applies to the following classifications of drivers:
- Drivers who transport hazardous materials
- Drivers who are paid to operate a vehicle that carries over 8 people
- Drivers who operate a vehicle that carries more than 15 people
- Drivers who operate a vehicle with a gross combined weight of over 10,000 pounds
What does the Physical Consist of?
The DOT exam will cover:
- Health history
- Vision assessment
- Hearing test
- Blood pressure
As well as a number of other health factors that can indicate a risk while operating a commercial vehicle.
What Factors Might Disqualify a Driver?
Here are a few guidelines and some minimum requirements for drivers to pass their exam:
- 20/40 vision in each eye (with or without glasses); 70+ degrees field of vision; the ability to distinguish between red, green, and yellow.
- The hearing test requires you to hear a harsh whisper in your best ear
- Blood pressure below 180/100; blood pressure between 140/90 and 179/109 may require an annual exam.
- Medical conditions, such as diabetes, hernias, obesity, and sleep apnea that are not in control
- Uncontrolled or unstable heart conditions
- Epilepsy or seizure disorders
- Meniere’s disease, an inner ear disorder that causes dizziness
- Use of marijuana, even if prescribed
- Use of illegal substances
- Use of oxygen therapy
- Some respiratory conditions
What You Need to Know for Compliance
Just like any other DOT requirement, if your driver is caught without a medical certificate, they are taken off the road and you will pay for it. Not just in fines, but in the business that is impacted by the loss of a driver.
As driver requirements are changed, increased, and refined, it is so important to have a way to track which of your drivers complies and who may be coming due for their next medical exam.
Take a look at DQMConnect. This amazing application is helping many companies address the same concerns. Real-time alerts and a dashboard view of your driver compliance, puts you in control.
Keep your company safe, your drivers compliant, and your clients happy with DQMConnect.