Driver qualification files are an important part of a company’s safety management system. They document a driver’s qualifications and history, which is essential for ensuring that the driver is safe to operate a commercial motor vehicle. But with so much information to track, it can be difficult to know what to save and what to toss. Let’s review a checklist of items to maintain in your DQ file, as well as tips for DQ file management using DQMConnect software.
How to Know What to Save and Not To
There are many items to consider when determining what to save and what to throw away in your DQ file. The following checklist can help:
– Driver’s license
– Medical examiner’s certificate
– Drug test results
– Driver training records
– Accident reports
– Citations and fines
Save everything that is required by law or regulation, including driver’s licenses, medical examiner’s certificates, and drug test results. Maintaining copies of accident reports and citations can help you stay informed about your drivers’ safety records.
Toss anything that is no longer valid or relevant, such as expired driver’s licenses and training records. It’s also a good idea to periodically purge your DQ file of old or unused documents.
Additionally, there are some specific timeframes for when files must be kept:
- A driver application with the employment duration; keep three years after it ceases.
- Motor vehicle record (MVR) when hired.
- Certificate of a road test.
- If a road test is not used, a copy of the driver’s commercial driver’s license.
- All of the returned Safety Performance History from inquiries.
- An annual motor vehicle record.
- A full review of the annual MVR.
- List of violations from the driver.
- Medical status with a certificate for CDL holders from an MVR.
- Medical status of CDL holders on MVR.
- If applicable, a medical variance and/or exemption document must be included.
Use DQMConnect for Your DQ File Management
DQMConnect is a powerful tool for managing your DQ files. With DQMConnect, you can easily keep track of driver qualifications and history, as well as receive real-time alerts when something changes in a driver’s file. Contact Vehicle Licensing Consultants today and get your DQ file management solution in place and running perfectly!