All employers who operate interstate and intrastate commercial vehicles must query the Clearinghouse for any current or prospective employee who is planning to operate a CMV on public roads. Employers are also required to query the Clearinghouse annually for each driver currently employed.
In addition, the California DMV requires all employers of CMV drivers to participate in the EPN (Employer Pull Notice) Program. Carriers must have an up-to-date EPN report in each of their driver’s file.
What is Employer Pull Notice?
Companies based in California or have terminals in California and employ drivers that are operating with a CDL are REQUIRED to acquire an EPN Account through the CA DMV. An owner operator who is running under his/her own name (not as an LLC or Corporation) is exempt from registering an account.
Our Services Can Save You Time & Money
At VLC, we help our clients navigate the ever-changing requirements and complexities of compliance. We are an experienced Agency who will help you with all licensing, permits, driver, and fleet reporting requirements. We help you focus on your business, and can take the headache out of the compliance and reporting aspect.
VLC and the FMCSA Clearinghouse
As a third-party administrator for FMCSA means that VLC can run queries on your drivers and new prospects (as required by the FMCSA) through the Clearinghouse.
We know that navigating through Federal Websites is not always the most user-friendly experience. VLC has set up many accounts for both Companies and Drivers. We can navigate through out the application process with ease on your behalf.
VLC and the EPN Program
Companies are required to keep the most updated Driver Record in their employee’s driver files.
A Driver Record will reflect:
- Individual characteristics (height, weight, eye color, hair color, etc.)
- DL Expiration date
- Potential Safety Red Flags: Convictions, Accidents, Suspension. Revocations, Failures to Appear
Drivers will be enrolled under their employer’s company Account number. A new driver record is generated when:
- There is a change to a driver’s record
- Failures to appear
- Driver license suspensions or revocations
- Any other actions taken against the driving privilege
- Add a new driver to employer’s account
- 12-month annual driver record
The benefits of an EPN account (other than it being a requirement):
- Improves public safety.
- Determines if each driver has a valid DL
- Reveals problem drivers or driving behavior
- Helps to minimize a company’s liability
Why VLC should be your EPN agent:
- We have a direct communication with the DMV electronically
- Overall management of account (driver’s and invoices)
- No chance of mail being missorted or lost in transit to appropriate terminal
- 48-hour turnaround time compared to DMV standard 10-15 business days
- Reduce the use of paper and postage
- Ability to add and delete drivers from account with just an email to VLC
- Stored as Secure Electronic copies of all driver records
- Direct agent contacts with EPN department at DMV that is not available to the general public
- Invoice Auditing
Put our 50+ years of experience to work for you. We have many happy clients who are eternally grateful for the time and money we have saved them! Contact us for details.