Update your ELD. All ELDs require an update to be in compliance with the new Hours of Service (HOS) rules. Geotab is ready with an update for its GEOTAB DRIVE app. Check with your ELD provider for their update. If they are not ready, come to us. We will get you set up.
HOW TO UPDATE YOUR APP: A STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE
- Visit your device’s app store, such as Apple’s App Store or Google Play.
- In the updates section, find the GEOTAB DRIVE app and hit the “UPDATE” button. This will begin the download process for the update. (If your device is set for automatic updates, this process may already have been completed. Check for updates in your app store to confirm. If there is an update available, your device may be set for manual updates).
- After the update completes, your device is ready for the new HOS Rules.
WHAT ELSE IS CHANGING?
The affected HOS Rules include:
- Short Haul Exception
- Adverse Driving Conditions Exception
- 30-Minute Break Requirement
- Sleeper Berth Provision
WHY ARE THE HOS RULES CHANGING?
On June 1, 2020, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) published the Hours of Service final rule that revises the HOS regulations in 49 CFR Part 395, which prescribe driving limits for commercial motor vehicle (CMV) drivers.
The rule includes four changes designed to offer drivers greater flexibility, while maintaining the highest safety standards on our Nation’s roads, and was developed based on extensive public and industry input.
WHEN WILL THIS GO IN TO EFFECT?
The new HOS Rules were put in to effect on September 29, 2020.
HOW DOES THIS EFFECT MY GEOTAB DEVICES?
This update requires the latest version of the GEOTAB DRIVE app. Devices that do not update or comply with the new rules will not be in compliance. As TripDAWG clients, Geotab is ahead of the game with an update ready for you.
WHY DO I HAVE TO UPDATE MY GEOTAB DEVICE?
If your GEOTAB device is not updated to the latest version of the GEOTAB DRIVE app, the ELD may not accurately identify hours of service violations. Please check that your app is updated to ensure your ELD is in full compliance.